Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Personality Analysis

This is the second time I have taken the MBTI personality assessment in three months and I was interested to observe whether or not I would score the same as I did in June. The results were nearly identical as my final type was again ENTP (Extravert, Intuitive, Thinking, and Perceiving), the only difference being that I was not as strongly extraverted as determined in my previous analyses. As stated after taking this assessment previously, I feel that this is a reasonable picture of my personality from a distance, and can be used to begin building a more complete profile of my personality and can be used to attempt to predict my success in differing work environments. However, one key aspect of my personality type, proven valid through my life choices, is that I am unpredictable therefore anyone taking this assessment at face value and using to predict my actions will most likely meet with numerous wrong conclusions. Further, I have actually been known to take an alternative course of action solely because it is not what is expected.
When examining an ENTP in a work situation, one finds that the unpredictability of our nature less important in the overall picture of our strengths and weaknesses. I found in this assessment my strongest preferences were in the Thinking and Intuitive quadrants, and found the most similarities in my personality to the stated effects of such preferences in both of these categories. As a Thinker I have talent for analyzing problems or situations and excel at anticipating and predicting logical outcomes of choices. This aspect of my personality has most likely resulted in my comfort approaching situations using a very scientific method, meaning that I put things in logical order examining the consequences of my actions analytically and impersonally. Being so strongly this type I can sometimes be thought of as insensitive especially in work situations as occasionally I view emotion as a weakness in the business world. This is a very helpful thing to know about oneself, as a manager in the future I will need to remember to be careful not to scoff at the feelings of my colleagues as those feelings may be a strong motivating factor to them. This assessment revealed that I have strong intuitive preferences as well the effects of which make me always aware of new challenges and possibilities, perhaps my greatest pleasure in life is learning a new skill or working to overcome a difficult challenge.
These two temperaments are the strongest determinates in a working personality, the combination of which has been dubbed “Rational Visionary”, which describes me very well, though not completely. Two counterpoints not included in this classification include creativity and patience, two of my personality traits that I consider great innate strengths of mine, which I have relied on to overtake the rash weaknesses that an ENTP can sometimes display. A “Rational Visionary” is considered most effective at work “as architects of change”, whose strengths include conceptualizing, seeing new possibilities, and grasping underlying principles. This is quite accurate in describing me at work, and as I am searching for my dream career at the moment, these are things that I can consider when examining the responsibilities of various positions as they become available to me. I feel that being a “Rational Visionary” will allow me to be successful in the positions I dream myself to one day occupy, such as the General Manager of the LA Angels, or the CEO of K2 Skis, because I can use my intuitions and analytical strengths to lead the industry that each of these organizations occupy, and utilize my desire to be challenged in industries that are so extremely competitive where a personality without that love for a challenge would struggle.

No comments: